and languages I would like to learn, over the next few years:
1. german (conversational, not fluent. need to visit germany to get fluent, I think.)
2. thai (I’m reading at about a 2nd grade level now, but can’t speak any better than a 3 year old due to lack of people to practice with.)
5. french (took this in elementary school and still recall quite a bit. I think with a minor immersion I could be conversational quickly.)
7. something exotic and rare, like finnish or mongolian.
I’m not particularly interested in learning a non-alphabetic language, as you can see.
If I put anywhere near the effort into learning either of those as I put into Thai, I’d be pretty functional. and it would be MUCH more useful day to day. I am proficient with html/css, which aren’t really programming languages.
1. Chiang Mai, Thailand
2. Berlin, Germany
4. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, Vietnam
5. Cairo, Egypt
6. Someplace in France, not Paris.
7. St. Petersburg, Russia
9. Stockholm, Sweden
10. Vienna, Austria
11. southwest desert area of the US. again.